Monday, August 11, 2014

Transfers....

It's that time again... Transfers. So exciting! Sadly the Aurora Spanish Hermanas area has been closed for right now :( So the Elders will be taking over all of our investigators and the work there. They're going to be super busy and see lots of miracles. I have been transferred to May Valley Spanish. Which just happens to include none other than... Mount Si! Hahah I'm going back to my greenie/ birth area. We cover a larger area now though. I'm excited! It will be different to go back to where the hispanics are few and far between but God will help us to find his prepared children here. I will be finishing the training of Hermana Wrubell. She's super adorable and an amazing missionary; we're excited to see what miracles are in store for us! 

As for back in Aurora, we had an amazing week.We decided that we were going to have what we called a "semana de fuego". What we did was during our fast last Sunday we prayed that God would help us to know anything that we need to change and how we could become more sanctified. We worked to hard to give the Lord EVERYTHING and miracles followed!

The only problem is... I don't have my planner with me so I can't really remember exactly what it was that happened. So y'all are going to get the watered down, not as cool version. Sorry! 

Firstly, Martin. He's great and I have no doubt that he's going to get baptized soon. We taught him the second half of the Plan of Salvation and he really liked it. He talked about how he feels good at church and he how when he's there, he has this desire to become a better person. When we invited him to be baptized he said that he does want to be baptized but that he wants to be completely sure. Hermana Norton asked him if he felt like he'd received answers from the holy ghost and he said that he knew he had. He just didn't feel like they was a huge flashing sign that says, "GET BAPTIZED!!!!" Part of a talk by Elder Ballard that I had listened to that morning popped into my head so I shared it with him. The story Elder Ballard shared was, 

Oftentimes we are like the young merchant from Boston, who in 1849, asthe story goes, was caught up in the fervor of the California gold rush. Hesold all of his possessions to seek his fortune in the California rivers,which he was told were filled with gold nuggets so big that one couldhardly carry them.

Day after endless day, the young man dipped his pan into the river andcame up empty. His only reward was a growing pile of rocks. Discouragedand broke, he was ready to quit until one day an old, experiencedprospector said to him, “That’s quite a pile of rocks you are getting there,my boy.”

The young man replied, “There’s no gold here. I’m going back home.”

Walking over to the pile of rocks, the old prospector said, “Oh, there isgold all right. You just have to know where to find it.” He picked tworocks up in his hands and crashed them together. One of the rocks splitopen, revealing several flecks of gold sparkling in the sunlight.

Noticing a bulging leather pouch fastened to the prospector’s waist, theyoung man said, “I’m looking for nuggets like the ones in your pouch, notjust tiny flecks.”

The old prospector extended his pouch toward the young man, wholooked inside, expecting to see several large nuggets. He was stunned tosee that the pouch was filled with thousands of flecks of gold.

The old prospector said, “Son, it seems to me you are so busy looking forlarge nuggets that you’re missing filling your pouch with these preciousflecks of gold. The patient accumulation of these little flecks has broughtme great wealth.”

This story illustrates the spiritual truth that Alma taught his son Helaman:

“By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. …

“… And by very small means the Lord … bringeth about the salvation ofmany souls” (Alma 37:6–7).


I told Martin that sometimes we look for the giant nuggets of gold when really God has been giving us little flecks all along the way. I know I definitely have been that way before, expecting God to give me huge manifestations in answer to my prayers. Luckily he knows what will really help us and gives us what we actually need. Well Martin really liked the story and told us that he was exactly like the man in the story, neglecting the flecks because he wanted the nuggets of gold. 

I know without a doubt that God answers our prayers. I know it because I have seen so many times in my life the answers to my prayers. Having a hard time? Pray! God knows how to help!



Con Amor,
Hermana Pier



Ps everyone should look up this article in the August Ensign! It was written by my Mission President, President Choi. Read it! It's really great!


No comments:

Post a Comment